Friday, April 23, 2010

Don't Feel Desperate: Come Talk to Us Instead

It's a bummer getting rejected. I know, you don't have to tell me, because I've experienced it. I'm currently a psychology major on a pre-med track, which I started only recently. I've been busy all my life, working two jobs, volunteering, getting pretty decent grades, the whole sha-bang. I've been applying to internship opportunities for this coming summer since the middle of March. Granted, I haven't heard back from everyone yet, but it's looking a little grim. I'm not sure anymore if I'll be able to land a paid internship for this summer. So what am I supposed to do now?

Well, I definitely can do something. Even if I'm not getting a paid position, I'm going to apply like crazy to unpaid volunteer/internship positions as well- stuff that I find not only on Internship Exchange, but also through the Career Services' website and on DonsCareers, where we post links to the organizations that come to USF in the fall for the Non-Profit Expo. San Francisco has so many incredible not-for-profit organizations, I'm confident that I'll work with amazing people at the organizations I'm applying to volunteer with (if I get accepted, knock on wood). But I do understand that that means I'm going to be working as much as I can at my part-time jobs to make ends meet, in addition to working at the non-profit organization. It's a little bit of a bummer, to be honest, thinking that I'm not going to be a lazy body over the summer.  But in the end, I know I'm going to get to work with amazing people, do amazing work, and be way happier than I ever would if I was just chillin' at home doing nothing.

Competition is fierce nowadays, not only for jobs, but for internships too. And it's not like we've been sitting on our butts all along, right? We've been getting good grades, working our part-time jobs, and keeping up with applying for job/internship/volunteer opportunities like crazy. But if you haven't been hearing replies back, or if you've gotten a couple of rejections too, don't fret. An opportunity will open up, just keep working and staying busy (and keep your eyes peeled!).

Have a wonderful weekend,
Seghel

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012