Thursday, June 24, 2010

Say Bye-Bye to Mommy and Daddy

Hi everyone,

I'm not one to squander any opportunities that come my way.  As my December 2010 graduation approaches, you can be sure that I won't be refusing to shake hands and network.  But however fearful I am of failure and rejection, I know I can't lean on my parents.  They've helped me get this far- now it's my job to...get a job!  That means I'm going to be networking till my wrist is sore from shaking so many hands, my fingers bruised from typing up cover letters, and my throat raw from interviewing until I get that job.

However, if my parents were to ask me one day if I wanted to meet so-and-so because their company needs interns, I'm definitely going to jump at that chance.  Even if their company is a part of an industry I'm not majoring in, I'm not gonna be closing any doors until I've explored all my options.  That doesn't mean that I'm going to wait for my parents to hook me up with a job through their connections, but I'd be open to it.

The point I'm trying to make here is this: you've got the skills and the tools after years of post-secondary education to get a job.  Just because the economy isn't doing so hot doesn't mean you have a free pass to let your parents take care of getting a job for you.

Best of luck,
Seghel

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012