Monday, February 11, 2013

Major Indecision Part I


     One of the first things you get asked meeting new people as a college student is "What's your major?". I had grown to despise this question because my answer was always "undeclared" and I felt like being undeclared made people take me less seriously. At first it was fine. I was a freshman and being undeclared was pretty common but as time went on I felt more and more anxious about not having a major. Everyone I knew had at least some idea of what they were going to do in the future. I, on the other hand, only knew that I did not want to work in math or science.

      I met with Ellen Kelly Daley, one of the counselors at our office and she helped me narrow things down by giving me the iStartStrong test and other exercises to help me decide my major. One exercise she suggested was going through the required classes of my top choices and rating them by interest. This exercise helped me realize I definitely didn't want to become a business major. Ellen also had me look carefully at my iStartStrong results to determine my top interests. There were great resources on what people from different majors are currently doing and what their salaries are. I found that the majors that were most interesting to me were International Studies, Media Studies, Communications, Sociology, Politics and Psychology.
     
       I had finished the easier part, narrowing it down to a few majors but I still had six different majors that were all equally desirable to me. All that was left to do was to make the hard decision but I was having a really hard time doing that because I didn't know what the classes were like for these different majors. I asked people's opinions of what I should do but they all said pretty much the same thing, that I needed to decide that for myself and that I should go with the major I felt most passionate about.

Stay tuned for part II next week!

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012