Friday, April 5, 2013

How to Succeed in Interviews


Last week one of our career counselors put on a workshop on how to succeed in interviews. I personally learned quite a bit from it.
Two things I took home that I knew I needed to fix when I go in for interviews, and the third thing that was reinforced (as I had learned the hard way):
1.      I need to buy a portfolio. I have gone into interviews without them before and gotten hired at places like a local grocery store. It’s very different, however, when going in for interviews for graduate school or jobs in the workplace. In situations like these, a portfolio is necessary.
2.     How to dress the part. I have never owned a pair of slacks. Up till now I refused to buy them simply because I didn’t think they were cute or worth any amount of money. If you don’t go in to an interview properly dressed (including, slacks/ professional business skirt, a button up shirt/ professional-looking blouse that covers everything) you most likely will not get the job. So, after attending the work shop I invested in some slacks, shirts, and flats, from H&M that were professional and cute. Girls, if you are looking for a good deal on professional attire, Forever 21 and H&M are stepping up their game. I’d start there. As for guys, I did see a professional attire section on the guy’s side at H&M as well. Here is a prezi from our website on how to dress for an interview: http://prezi.com/pvxnuxbwy9mx/interview-attire/
3.     Ask questions at the end of an interview. In my experience with interviews thus far with college, this actually does make a difference. I have had three interviews for on-campus jobs total in my two years at USF, and the one that I didn’t get the job went embarrassingly like this:

Interviewer: So do you have any questions?
Me: No
At this point I was so nervous, my cheeks were turning red. Honestly, I was so nervous I couldn’t think of any questions because my mind had blanked.
Interviewer: Ok, it was nice to meet you. We will be in contact with you shortly.
It was probably a combination of being so nervous and not asking any questions about the job as to why I wasn’t chosen. Which leads me to my next tip…how do you stay calm during interviews? As a freshman, I had zero job experience and zero experience with interviews. On top of that I am a painfully shy person. The best advice anyone can give you is to practice what you are going to say and how you are going to say it, as well as putting perspective on the interview process so you don’t work yourself up into a ball of nerves. With that being said, a great tool you can use to practice interviewing is through our Mock Interview program. You can have a mock interview with a recruiter or with a career counselor. Check out our website for more details:
Next time, I will I talk in more detail about how I personally learned how to stay calm and collected during interviews…

-Elaine

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012