Monday, October 31, 2011

They SAY we're too young.

Some use the excuse, “I’m too young, they’ll never hire me!”, so much that they actually believe it. University of San Francisco’s Davina Adjani, has encountered ageism and challenged it every time. Miss Adjani began interning in  high school with her start at Autodesk Inc. back in 2006. Since then, she has managed to intern at (to name just a few) CBS Radio, Energy 92.7, and Ryan Seacrest Productions in her years here at USF.
These days, Davina is not interning because she landed a job this past year (with an actual office and door with her name on it, might I add) as the Online Content Coordinator at Clear Channel Radio in San Francisco, California. Luckily, this full time student and employee was able to clear some time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions for me.
***
Name: Davina Adjani  
Age: 21  
Major: English  
Minor: Media Studies Date of Graduation: May 2012 Position at Company: Online Content Coordinator
Favorite dessert:  Vanilla ice cream with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt- sounds peculiar I know, but it’s actually QUITE amazing!

How does your age affect your work environment?  I wish I could lie and say that I’ve never encountered people in the industry, who haven’t based my experience off my age but I have- it is inevitable. However I’ve learned that I am the one who is in charge of how much my age will affect me at work- no one else. My advice is to never say “I am only (insert number) years old”, at work as an excuse or reason for anything- you are not your age- you are your experience and you are your intentions.

What is Clear Channel Radio? Clear Channel Communications, Inc, is an American media company that serves 150 cities through their 850 radio stations. We recently just launched iHeartRadio which is a social media networking application in which people can listen to some of their favorite local and world renowned artists. We also had the iHeartRadio Music Festival back in September hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Elvis Duran, which included many artists such as Lady Gaga, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z and Nicki Minaj.
 
How has interning influenced your career path?  I have dealt with many different types of environments, bosses, and have encountered different types of situations.  Some of these situations have been fun and yes I admit it, some have been very uncomfortable! However each internship has helped me figure out what I truly want career-wise and as corny as it sounds, in life. I also have met some of the most amazing and life changing people during each of my internships and for that, I am forever grateful.

Future Goals?  I wish I could tell you, but I have no idea! What I truly believe is that you are your intentions as long as you work hard and show commitment, fate will bring you the opportunity your experience has prepared you for, at the right time. What I have learned is despite what I plan; fate seems to always upstage me! So I’m just enjoying the ride.  

Advice?  My boss at Ryan Seacrest Productions, Tony Novia who is Ryan’s right hand man and who really looked out for me while I was in LA always used to say to me, “You know what Big Dee, persistence wears down resistance,” and I have found that to be very true! However if there is one thing I can really emphasize is don’t waste too much time knocking at a locked door, for you may be missing the 10 other doors that are opening right behind you. * 

It’s never too late to update that resume and get experience in the field you want to enter or simply want to explore! Snag an internship, get a job, and let us help!

--Victoria

Keep Up With the CSC!
Twitter: @USFcareer
FB: USF Career Services
http://www.usfca.edu/csc/



1 comment:

Poonam Lal said...

Great article! I would love to get in touch with Davina! Could you please send me her contact info via email? PoonamLal1219@gmail.com

Thanks!

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012