Thursday, March 14, 2013

Decisions (part 2)


The most intimidating part about college for me has been choosing a career path for my major. I am a psychology major and my journey so far has taken many turns. I had decided on doing premed spring 2012. Come October, I was sure I was going to be a high school counselor. It’s March 2013, and now I have no idea.
The most helpful thing I have done for myself in figuring out what I am not going to do in my future, was trying new things. Yes, that sounds a little cheesy, but process of elimination is probably the best tool in a college student’s utility belt. I highly recommend this to everyone.
I tried (and ultimately loathed) science classes. Well, becoming a doctor is off my list.
I struggled with seeing people very close to death while volunteering at UCSF. Cross doctor off again.
In volunteering at UCSF, I assisted in medical research with a few medical students (which I actually enjoyed, surprisingly, and had never considered doing before).  Write possible career in psychology research on my list.
As a result, I got involved with a psychology research lab on campus. Why don’t we keep a possible career in research on the list for now?
As for the high school counselor ambition? It’s not crossed off at the moment.  I am hoping to get involved with volunteering with a crisis line this summer. So hopefully I can make more progress on my list soon again.
As a sophomore, I still have some time before I need to make a concrete decision as to what my final career will be. However, it’s relieving to feel like I am making headway in navigating myself through all these big decisions.
Till next time,
Elaine Ortega

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012