Monday, March 4, 2013

Major Indecision Part II

So, there I was, beginning the first semester of my sophomore year having taken mainly core classes. I had taken a few others including Media Studies and Intro to American Politics. Everyone had been telling me I didn't need to worry about declaring a major but I was starting to really freak out because I felt like I was running out of time. I was told by an adviser at CASA that I might not be able to graduate on time with some of the majors I was interested in like Hospitality and Psychology because they had so many requirements. I was dreading registering for classes because that meant I would have to decide my major like, now. When registration did come I was still undecided so I took one Politics class, one Sociology class and one Psychology class. I was leaning towards being a Politics major but I was still not 100% sure. I took Soc and Psych because I thought I might want to minor in one of those. I felt like I was missing out on Communications. It felt like a major I could see myself doing but I hadn't taken any Comm classes so how could I choose it? The Communications class I wanted to take was at the same time as the Politics class I wanted to take so I was forced to decide. I went with Politics because the class sounded more interesting to me and that was the major I had always felt drawn to. After declaring I still felt unsure but once it sunk in I felt it was the right choice. Joining the PACE (Political Action and Civic Engagement) on-campus at USF and applying to internships the past few weeks have gotten me very excited about my new major. I've also decided to minor in Sociology and joined the STEP (Sociologists Together Empowering People) which has added to my excitement. I can't wait to intern in my field and that's why I know I made the right choice. 
 

Choosing my major was just the beginning. Once I decided I had to go to CASA, get the add major form then go to the Politics department and get the form signed and then bring it back to CASA. So now I am officially a Politics major and it feels good. I emailed my advisor and we have a meeting set up for next week. It feels great to be able to write B.A. Politics on my resume. The best part though is being able to answer that previously dreaded question "What's your major?".

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012