Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Government, Politics and Civic Engagemernt Career Panel

Hi Everyone,

I attended the Government, Politics and Civic Engagement Career Panel last month both because it was put on by our office and because those are areas I'm thinking of working in for the future. I plan to work in nonprofits one day, most likely political nonprofits. As a newly declared Politics student I've been really excited about getting involved with my major and meeting people within my future field.

I got to the panel late because I had class but I was able to see the second half of the presentation. There were five panelists, reps from the State Department, the CIA, two local government members and someone from USF's own McCarthy Center. I was most interested by the State Department jobs because the rep described exciting internship opportunities all over the world at different embassies. The panelists talked about what it was like to work in their fields and what kind of opportunities were available to students and recent graduates. The panelists also discussed different dos and don'ts concerning resumes and different professional things. Looking back I wish I had taken some notes because they gave smart advice. 

I was hoping to talk to the State Department representative but there were a few people lined up already and I got intimidated and nervous that I wouldn't have any good questions to ask. Looking back I regret not making a connection with the rep since working at an embassy sounds like something I would really love to do someday. As a USF student, I often feel that our school is small and unknown and I wish I attended Berkeley or another larger school in the area but the truth is we often don't realize what advantages we have as USF students. Since USF is so small we have less competition and stronger relationships with many companies and agencies, we need only utilize these connections. Being at this panel I realized that if I work hard and network efficiently I can have an exciting internship and/or job when I graduate, even in this competitive work environment.

I implore everyone to attend these panels and workshops and come into our office, utilize the advantages of attending USF!

No comments:

Rosie
rosie

Rosie is an outgoing Junior Psychology major who has worked in the office since her Freshman year. She wears multiple hats including president of her sorority Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. and Vice President of Internal Affairs for Greek Council. As a very involved student leader she is a great resource for all things USF
Nathan
rosie

Nathan hails from the tropical state of Hawaii. When he is not in his business suit for his business classes, he is just "chilling" and bringing the Aloha Spirit to the office. He has worked for the Career Services Center for three years and has extensive experience with other internships including his most upcoming internship with Bank of Hawaii in summer 2012